Everyone gets burned out now and again with what they do. When you are busy working on all kinds of projects it is easy to get lost in the mix, get caught up in all the switching tasks/taking calls/staying on top of email/feeling like you are just chasing yourself in circles, which can bring on some major burn out.
In order to keep burn out low – I have been doing the following which has worked well:
- Take time each day – during “work hours” to work on a pet project. In the end your skills will develop, and you will work on something that is exciting and something that you look forward to working on.
- Take time each day to step away from work – even if just for 20 minutes. I generally take my dog for a quick walk each day so I can refocus
- Keep to business hours. There are some exceptions, but for the most part – work only during your set business hours and keep all personal tasks for your personal time. (I do not even answer personal calls for the most part). By clearly separating your business/personal lives – you feel much more calm and focused at work and at home.
- Make a list of everything you want to accomplish for the day. The list helps set goals for the day and it is also quite rewarding to cross completed tasks off the list. (I know Mom…)
- Remember you do what you do because you love it. If you do not love it – find something you love and move on.