I was working on a project for a client and downloaded a plugin that was advertised to do the exact thing I needed – but when I installed it on my development server (still running 2.2 for this client) the plugin did not work. After spending time trying to figure out what the issue was, I installed it on a generic 2.3 install of WordPress so I could reference it for the plugin author (someone I have worked with to help debug his other plugins). As soon as I installed it – I got the message “a newer version of this plugin is available” and when I installed the newer version, my problems disappeared and everything worked. The update notification is gold and worth the upgrade!
After a long search and evaluation process for a WordPress plugin to fit my needs, I decided to go with a WordPress plugin called fGallery. I started off looking at the Coppermine plugin but after reading about how development had been stopped and the reasons why, I plugged on to find something that would not require any separate software install and offered seamless integration with WordPress. After playing around with it for a bit, I integrated it on Evan’s web site. So far, so good. Now if only I had a plugin that would pull my photos from iPhoto, post them into WordPress and perhaps another online service ;). Hmm…
[tags]WordPress plugins, photos, fGallery[/tags]
I recently created a web site (Evan’s Web Site) that could really use a nice photo gallery plugin. I have looked at a few but they have all fallen short in one way or another. Does anyone have any suggestions since there are so many out there? I am looking for:
- Easy upload and post integration (like the default WP) so that non-technical savvy people will feel comfortable with uploading pictures.
- A gallery option so I can group a bunch of pictures together in a gallery layout.
- Thumbnail creation.
I do not need anything fancy…just some suggestions on proven plugins. Thanks in advance.
[tags]WordPress, WordPress plugins[/tags]
I have been working with WordPress for multiple years now and I decided I needed to start reviewing some of my favorite plugins – as I receive a number of requests about what plugins I use/prefer. I am going to start with a newcomer: WP Newsletter. This plugin works great for WordPress sites allows you to:
- create a customized newsletter for your readers or customers using the same theme based layout as you use for creating WordPress themes
- offer a newsletter archive within WordPress
- seamless integration with the WordPress Admin
- use custom Newsletter WordPress template for easy integration into existing WordPress web site or blog
- customize welcome email for new subscribers that can be modified within the WordPress Admin
The plugin developer is very responsive and open to new ideas and adding functionality to his plugin. There are also many other general newsletter functions you would expect and want
If you need a newsletter plugin for WordPess, check it out!
This plugin is no longer recommended. If you are looking for a great newsletter plugin – check out MailPress
Well after over six months using WordPress to drive jappler.com, I thought I would report for anyone out there that might be interested, what plugins and modifications I have put in place to create jappler.com what it is today.
- Admin User Interface Enhancemnt: Tiger Style Administration Plugin. If you know me, you know I am very particular with user interfaces, and this one passes the test.
- Page Navigation: WP-PageNavi Plugin. This creates page number links at the bottom of my blog.
- Search Term Highlighter: Search Hilite Plugin (this is now built-in). When someone searches for information on your WordPress site/blog, the search term will be higlighted in the found posts/pages
- Anti-Spam: Spam Karma Plugin. Help ward off comment spam by using this awesome spam stopping plugin.
- Email This Post: WP-EMail Plugin. This plugin allows visitors to email a post to themselves or anyone who might find something interesting.
- Click Counter: Click Couter Plugin. This plugin tracks how many times all the links on jappler.com have been clicked.
- Search: Search Pages Plugin. Since I use WordPress for more than a blog, I needed to have a way to search through all my content and pages, not just my blog. This plugin searches everything on jappler.com
- Sitemap: Google Sitemaps Plugin. This plugin creates a Google compliant sitemap (which helps with your Google rank).
- Counter: WP-OnlineCounter Plugin. I never had a counter back in the late 1990s when I first put up my first web pages…so here it is.
- RSS Aggregator: aggrss, an rss aggregator Plugin. This plugin drives my <a href="/news/" section.
- PHP: Run PHP Plugin. This allows me to use PHP into any of my posts/pages
- Modification Date: Last Modified Plugin. This plugin puts the “last modified” next to my posts/pages.
- SNL Fun: Deep Thoughts Plugin. We all need some deep thoughts. This plugin is used in my randomness section.
- Weather: WeatherIcon Plugin. This plugin displays the weather on my home page.
- Jappler History: One year ago Plugin. Jappler.com is random…it is sometimes fun to see what I was thinking/posting about a year ago. Soon I will have to add “Two years ago” too.
- Polls: WP-Polls Plugin. I have started playing around with this plugin…watch for some exciting Jappler polls soon 😉
Let me know if you have questions! I will be happy to help any beginner or intermediate bloggers get started!
[tags]WordPress, WordPress Plugins, jappler.com[/tags]