Yes – I have heard. I have received multiple email messages and concerned phone calls. The soap opera – Guiding Light – that my grandmother listened to on the radio, my mother watched on the TV, and that I have watched ever since the 1980s is going to be cancelled in September. I very disappointed and after watching Guiding Light over the years with just about everyone I know at some time or another…very sad that my “second family” will no longer be around. (As crazy as it sounds, after watching the same show every day (I TiVo it every day…and recorded it on my VCR before that, and skipped class to watch it before that…who needed Spanish 100 anyway?).
Everyday for almost 20 years is something…and I am not really sure what to do. Gain an hour of not watching TV? Check out another soap that has some of my old GL favorites on it? At this point I am going to have to wait and see what some of the actors do and where they go. There is some real acting talent there…
Now that we know the end is near – please get Josh and Reva together…and I mean like tomorrow.
Cheers to an old friend!
I have been watching TV shows on the web through the big Network’s web sites (ABC, CBS, NBC) for a little over a year now when the TiVO or the TiVO user fails to catch a show I am interested in, but I really had not checked out all the big network’s full episode catalogs in awhile. I mainly go to ABC to catch up on Brothers and Sisters and had also decided to check out a few new series (I really like Car Poolers). I then decided to go to CBS and NBC’s catalogs and I was very impressed! I can even watch my soap opera Guiding Light – in full – from anywhere I have a web browser and a high speed connection. If you have not checked out the “full episode” sections of ABC, CBS, and NBC – do so next time you find yourself flipping aimlessly through the channels. There is a good chance you missed an episode of something you watch – which is now available for you free!
I have been listening to podcasts for awhile now, and I thought it might be interesting for some people to see what I subscribe to:
- Despair.com – A great demotivating podcast (great for elitists)
- Pro PHP – Podcast about PHP programming
- Engadget – Information about the latest tech gadgets and tech new
- Security Now! – Weekly computer security information
- Guiding Light – My soap opera
- Guiding Light Lite – Commentary about GL from GL stars
- Pete Tong’s Tongcast – Latest dance music in review
- Celtic Music News – News, Music, and more on Celtic Music (a high school friend creates this)
- Monticello Podcasts – Information and Stories about Monticello and Thomas Jefferson
- Williamsburg Podcasts – Information and news about Williamsburg
When do I have time to listen to these? I enjoy listening to these shows while I work or while I am on the train.
[tags]podcasts, Despair.com, Engadget, Security Now!, Guiding Light, Pete Tong, Monicello, Williamsburg [/tags]