I have been working with WordPress 2.9 now for a few weeks and I cannot remember the last time I was so excited with the new features of WordPress. There are countless little improvements most users would not notice, but there are some killer new features that should not be overlooked.
- First and foremost – working with images just got a lot cooler!
- Thumbnails Finally after creating several custom plugins for this – there is now a simple way to select and then use a thumbnail for each post. Simply add a few lines of code into your theme’s functions.php file and you are ready to go.
add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' ); set_post_thumbnail_size( 150, 150, true ); // Normal post thumbnails
- Cropping Ever need to crop a photo for your post or page? You can now upload any image, use built in crop functions to select the part of the image you want, save the cropped photo, and then use it – all within WordPress. Say goodbye to opening up Photoshop, cropping, saving, uploading, etc. Say hello to an easy to use streamlined process.
- We’ve got trash! No more “crap I just deleted that post”. Now you have the option to Edit, View, or Trash a post or several posts. Once the items are in the trash you can easily recover them or permanently delete them.
- Repair those tables please.Now you can automatically optimization your database by adding this line to your wp-config.php file: define(‘WP_ALLOW_REPAIR’, true);
Some screenshots of interest
If you have not updated to this version – please take some time and take a look. The cropping alone will save hours of time if you ever needed to manipulate your images! Overall, this update took things one step further to making a solid, feature rich content management system and I am excited to use some of these new features with each new site I create!
- I cannot believe this is the last week of Guiding Light after being with us for 72 years (over 20k episodes total!!) #
- @theandystratton http://bit.ly/uEB8l
(a new version is also coming out soon) in reply to theandystratton #
- I am interested to see how TO does with the Bills tonight! #
- What is worse than flash? Forced audio on a site for sure…. #
- Anyone else frustrated with iTunes' new "switch to mini player" change (was clicking minimize, now special key combo)? #
- @amazingamanda – I thought of you with new v. old media…have you checked out: http://bit.ly/16J4kZ? Out with GL, in with web based drama. in reply to amazingamanda #
- You know it is a bad week – I have not chewed on a pen cap since my salaried position days… #
- New Lucidity Theme site out there: http://badlieutenant.net/ #
- Just watched the end of an era. Pretty amazing… #
- @beth_chamberlin Just an amazing job. I will definitely miss seeing you on a daily basis. Best of luck with everything – and thanks! in reply to beth_chamberlin #
- @eakcik Amazing work! Best of luck to you in the future! in reply to eakcik #
- @crystalchappell Amazing work on GL. Thanks for the memories! in reply to crystalchappell #
I had been a huge fan of PlayStation 2 – mostly for games like SoCom II, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Madden football but when PlayStation 3 came out – I thought it was just a tad too expensive for the amount of time I would actually have time to play it.
With the recent price break – I decided to pick one up over the weekend with Madden 2010 and COD 4. While I have not even touched COD 4, Madden 2010 has not disappointed. The graphics and game play are solid and are really impressive.
PlayStation 3 overall is pretty amazing. The slim model has great design and is very quiet. The wireless remotes are gold and the actual user interface is surprisingly nice as well with a ton of options. You can completely customize the way it looks with different themes. You can download movies, games, and game demos as well which is very nice as I like to “try before I buy”. Evan really likes the Wall-E game and it is fun to watch him try and use the controls.
I also picked up the wireless headset which is a big improvement over the long thin corded headset I used with PlayStation 2. I look forward to using it when challenging friends and hopefully finding a good group of people to play with regularly with COD 5.
To wrap it up – PlayStation 3 is a solid console and I am very happy to have the PlayStation remote back in action (compared to the Wii remote). I know I did not mention anything about BlueRay – that is not all that exciting for me – as I am done buying media when it comes to movies. How many versions of the Terminator 2 can one actually own? Personally I have at least 4. Time to move towards downloaded media that will hopefully outlast these media players.
- What is up with the high school dreams? Both A and I had them over the last few days. #
- Finally seeing Phantom Menace again…I have not seen it since it was in the theatre! #
- A late night, but I am looking forward to ending it with an old episode of Lost! #
- Want something interesting to ponder about during lunch today?
(thanks Ken) #
- My first WP + Windows install…fingers crossed. #
- Giving http://sliceofchicago.com/ a try… #
I did not have too much time to post this week, but I did find some interesting sites to share:
- Mondays: Conference call, conference call, meeting, call about a meeting, conference call 😉 #
- Sometimes it is best to do the exact opposite of what clients want – because that is exactly what they want! #
- Ahh, remember the days when having 100 items in your trash (computer) was a lot? I just trashed over 7,000 items. #
- the differencebetween the soux chef andthe master chef isn't in knowingwhich ingredients to include ina dish,but which ingredients not to-DK #
- Nothing like a server emergency to start off the morning! #
- Ahh…yardhouse after a particulary long week. Very nice! #
- Just got back from seeing Second City, very cool! #
- Man – a long day followed by what will most likely be a long night… #
- Some days are hard and long, but at the end of those days it is nice to know you got a lot accomplished. #
- @1tb Check out http://probonobaker.typepad.com/probonobaker/ (one of my old co-worker's site) incase you are still hungry 😉 in reply to 1tb #
- @alexkingorg I am completely with you on deleting email. How much must we archive and then never read/reference again? in reply to alexkingorg #