I often perform the same tasks over and over and yet forget some little thing. This post is a reminder for me.
General Apple hints.
- What to do when you get the “Do not enter sign”. (besides wonder how to describe it while searching for a solution)
- Starting up in target disk mode: hold down “t”
- Starting up in single user mode: hold down Apple +”s”
- How to set up open firmware password protection
- Command to check for user preference errors: sudo plutil -s ~/Library/Preferences/*.plist
Mac OS X Server hints, aka Industrial Strength hints.
- Don’t change Mac OS X Server’s IP 😉
- When installing SSL certs on OS X Server (at least in 10.3 and below), if you change the cert file location from anything but the default, you will also need to change it in all your sites or Mac OS X Server will not be able to restart apache.
- Apple: “Well Known” TCP and UDP Ports Used By Apple Software Products
- Server Monitor not working after a clone? Make sure it is by adding: hwmond:respawn:/usr/sbin/hwmond # Hardware Monitor daemon to /etc/watchdog.conf
Tutorials and general resources.
- That web site I am always trying to remember, but never bookamrk: http://www.entropy.ch/home/welcome.php
- Web site that tests your mail server for open relay
- Awesome web tutorial web site
- All kinds of great tutorials
- Great web developer’s resource
Web development hints.