I have been using Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) for multiple weeks now, and I am absolutely fed up with Mail.app (others are as well). I rely heavily on email for all aspects of my business, and I finally had to resort to using webmail today so I would not waste any more time troubleshooting and manually clicking on all my IMAP folders to see if I had new messages in them (something is broken with showing the “Unread” status. On top of that fun, Mail.app hangs multiple times a day, and I noticed today, the mail activity monitor (within the left column of mail) does not match the separate mail activity window if you have both open at the same time. I was hoping Mac OS X 10.5.1 would resolve some issues, but frankly I have been having more issues! Serenity now!
I ran into an issue earlier today where I could not connect to a SMB share after my upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5. After some research, I found a thread in Apple’s Discussions.
Basically…you need to not use “Connect to Server…” – you need to mount/unmount the SMB share via the command line.
Basic Mount/Unmount Process
- Create a directory (folder) where you want the mounted share to appear. I created a folder called “SMB” on my Desktop
- Type in the following command: mount_smbfs //[email protected]/remote_share /Users/useyourusername/Desktop/SMB in the terminal
- You will be prompted for your password, type it in
- You now have access to the files on the remote server in the folder you created – enjoy!
- Once you are done, unmount the server by typing in the command: umount /Users/useyourusername/Desktop/SMB
Hopefully Apple will fix this issue ASAP, but until they do, you now have a way to connect to servers via SMB.
I have been using Mac OS X 10.5 now on my MacBook Pro for a week to test everything out before I upgraded my main development environment. I only found a few issues and they were pretty easy to fix.
- Text Wrangler via Cyberduck would not update any files after I made changes. I looked at a similar bug report, and updated my version of Cyberduck to the latest nightly build (2.8.1(3268)) and have not had any issues since.
- Amy had a mail issue after the “archive and install” upgrade where the “Send” button was greyed out, but after seeing she did not have a SMTP server configured, the problem was quickly resolved.
- GrowlMail was disabled when Mail.app started up, but the latest update (1.1.2) took care of that issue.
Everything else is running smoothly, and I will most likely update my main development computer over the weekend. Nice work Apple!