Over the last week – I have been trying to clean up my files and delete any non-essential email in order to tidy everything up. After deleting a number of files – I noticed my quota within Google Drive was still showing the same percent full before and after I deleted the files.
After waiting a few days and still not seeing any change in the size in the Google quota – I decided I needed to take some further action. I then realized – that when you delete files in your Google Drive – you then need to “empty the trash” before the files are actually gone.
How to empty the trash:
- Log into Google Drive
- Click on the trash icon in the left sidebar
- At the top of the page – you will now see a Trash menu. Click on that and then choose “Empty Trash”
After you are all done emptying the trash – check out your newly updated storage quota.
I back up all my files locally and then on to Amazon S3. I am not sure what made me give Google Drive a test but I did and I have been very happy with it ever since. What is it that I like better than everything else I have tried?
- Since I am always logged in to Google for email, calendar, reader, etc – it is right there.
- I can access my files from a great web interface and even view over 30 file types (even if I do not have the application needed to open them locally)
- I can manage my files either locally or by using the web interfaces – making the whole management of files really easy regardless of where I am or what I am using to view them.
- I can easily send a link to a file to someone or share it with other people I work with who generally always have a Google account (no additional account creation needed)
- Searching through my documents is quick and easy.
- There is even a Google Drive WordPress plugin that you can use to backup your database and files back in to your Google Drive.
- Your first 5 gigs of space is free and the pricing for anything above that is completely reasonable.
I can go on. If you have not checked it out – take a tour: https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/start/features.html